Monday, January 14, 2008

Quick thoughts after Volunteer night

So I went to my first Libertarian Party of Oregon meeting tonight. It was the regular volunteer night for the party. I figure if I’m going to start talking the talk, I’d better start walking the walk. Besides, considering some of the things the Party as gone through since I officially joined the National Party last December (the reasons why I joined in the first place) , if I want my voice heard, I’d better start involving myself.

I met a number of the party officers, as well as a couple of the other regulars, although not much work was done because they ran out of toner in the copier so the plan to stuff thousands of envelopes kind of fell through. There was, however, pizza.

The night was not a total loss though. Wes Wagner, the state chair started a discussion about what the state committee should look like. It was a very good discussion that started with the question of “What should the state party look like?” letting the members brainstorm their way to the true question, which boiled down to: “How can an organization that espouses personal liberty force its members to do things?”

Maybe not that question exactly, but the gist of the discussion was that if we want a government that is based on Libertarian values how can we govern ourselves using the same systems in place of other political parties and our current government system.

It’s an interesting idea, and I think it requires more in depth discussion, because right at this moment I’m having a very hard time putting to words ideas that were very clear to me just 4 hours ago. This is what I get when I wait until just before bed before trying to post anything.

I plan to spend more time posting here, and I’m promising myself to at least do more on this tomorrow.

No comments: